Monday, May 10, 2010

Our Own Three Cups of Tea

"Everybody can be great. Because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve.... You don't have to know the second theory of thermodynamics in physics to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

I was very impressed by the connections and insights that many of you made between "Three Cups of Tea" and your own service learning site. Some of you made observations about how the place you serve at has turned out to help and educate you as much as you help those you went to serve. Some of you met people that you felt reminded you of Mortenson, either because of his/her spirit, determination, or heart. Some of you connected to Mortenson's experience because of some of the obstacles you faced in trying to accomplish your SL. All of it was wonderful to read. And as Martin Luther King, Jr. tells us, you are all great!

What I got out of all of your blogs was a sense that amazing things and people are among us. When I first read "Three Cups of Tea," I wondered what type of person Mortenson was for he seemed beyond us normal folk who don't scale mountains or jet off to Pakistan every other week. And I wondered how someone who was just a normal citizen of the US could make an impact like he has. But as I read your blogs, I see that Mortensons are all around us, making sacrifices and giving up time with family or doing your own thing in order to benefit the greater good.

Thank you for sharing and if you haven't already, take a look at your classmate's blogs, especially Tiffany B, Jackie B, Nataliya G, Stacey O, and Liz Y. Great job, everyone!

2 comments:

Liz Y. said...

Thanks for your insight Phebe. I'm just a bit taken a back that most of the blogs weren't updated. Puts a little frown on my face. Well I decided to respond to your blog because I need to let you know that this is my first formal study of writing and I'm learning so much from your class. Sometimes I can sit down and I can type out 10 pages in a matter of 2 hrs, but it's a mumbled mess. lol My first journey with TCT and now with Diary of a PTI is helping me to grow even more with my thoughts and feelings and how to put the words down to paper. Right now I feel like I have so much to say but sadly this is not the right genre to spill out all my thoughts and feelings. Oh and one last thing. You've really pushed me to think outside my comfort zone and write outside of what I would usually write about. In my blog, my last entry is how I usually write. a jumbled, mumbled mess of words, but they demand to be written, and they won't let me stop nor rest until the very last tongue-twisted word is spilled out into the universe.
Thank yoy Professor Shen.
P.S Did I ever tell you that sometimes I don't know how I ever made it week to week in your class with all the paper work invloved.=)

phebe said...

Thanks for your response, Liz. I love where you say your last blog entry "[demands] to be written, and they won't let me stop nor rest until the very last tongue-twisted word is spilled out into the universe" because that is the essence of why we write, to communicate what needs to be said. And FYI, I oftentimes don't know how I make it through all the paper work involved week to week either. :)